Fedora 9: Upgrade with PreUpgrade

I have had two Linux machines running Fedora 8 for a while now. I decided to upgrade them to Fedora 9 so I can get firefox 3. In the past, I did this with yum. After I read a couple of articles on PreUpgrade, I wanted to give it a try.

I followed the instruction on Upgrade Your Desktop From Fedora 8 To Fedora 9 With PreUpgrade, everything went well until after the reboot. It failed to start X server. Yum also fails with error message about loading libnss3.so (cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory), I could not find this library in /lib.

After a couple of hours trying different things, I fixed it with the following procedure.
  1. Download Fedora 9 distribution disk (Fedora 8 would not work).
  2. Boot with Fedora 9 distribution disk to rescue mode (choose to enable network for yum upgrade, but you can always do this later).
  3. Do the following after you get to the shell prompt:

cp /lib/* /mnt/sysimage/lib/
chroot /mnt/sysimage
yum -y update
reboot


Everything worked fine afterwards.

No comments: